Thursday, March 15, 2012

Installing ADF Libraries to Weblogic 10.3.6 through JDeveloper 11.1.1.6.0. Integrated Weblogic is in previous version: 10.3.5

Hi,

I have just tried to install ADF Libraries to Weblogic 10.3.6

I have already installed Weblogic 10.3.6 as standalone server.

So, I took JDeveloper 11.1.1.6.0 and tried to install it in the same home as the Weblogic 10.3.6 has.
Or course I was planning to install only the ADF libraries...

But this is what I got.



It is obvious that the integrated Weblogic of JDeveloper 11.1.1.6.0 is 10.3.5..

As Timo Hahn pointed out:
http://tompeez.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/jdeveloper-11-1-1-6-0-aka-fusion-middleware-11gr1-patch-set-5-is-available/
The integrated Weblogic version of JDeveloper 11.1.1.6.0 is 10.3.5




I do not know if this is the plan or it is a mistake. 
But according to the certification matrix:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/jdev/index-091111.html#Application_Servers



I could assume that this installation process should work fine.

Well, I tried and tried but still the same issue..

In order to get things working for my set up, I had to download the runtime from here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/downloads/index.html

Which of course means that I had to download another ~1GB for a runtime that I already have in My JDeveloper installation file...

Basically, I do not understand why JDeveloper is using 10.3.5 as the Integrated WebLogic Server.
Even though it supports it in 11.1.1.6.0 version of JDeveloper, I still cannot see why it is included as the Integrated Weblogic Server.
Furthermore, I cannot see the productivity in this setup. In order to develop in a similar environment I must install a standalone Weblogic 10.3.6 because simply the Weblogic 10.3.5 is not the version I downloaded and want to work with.

Regards.


References:
http://tompeez.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/jdeveloper-versions-vs-weblogic-server-versions/
https://blogs.oracle.com/onesizedoesntfitall/entry/adf_runtimes_vs_wls_versions
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/jdev/index-091111.html#Application_Servers
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/downloads/index.html
[update. additional link] http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/jdeveloper/howto/11114/managedserver/wlsadfms.html#4



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Serafeim, thank you for your comment, as you will see in my references I have place the link before publishing the article. However, even though it is stated that two versions of Weblogic Server are supported in this release, it rather inconvenient and strange, I would say, the fact that the previous version of wls comes with the newest version of JDeveloper. Furthermore, I have to download the ADF runtime file and install it. It would be a lot nicer to have this support on both versions but have the latest version as the integrated wls. With this way, this exception would not have been thrown.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dimitrios, just a comment on addressing expectations here.

    Do you know the story about "that's the way it's always been done" http://www.jeffbridges.com/because.html

    So Oracle's problem here is in the last few years there's always been a WLS upgrade to every ADF version and people expect that each time because they've now been conditioned to expect that. However I remember when JDev 11g first came out, and I learned that on the next release Oracle also expected an upgrade of WLS, the expectation was exactly the opposite. I wasn't impressed at all by that requirement because it doubled our upgrade duties.

    Now that the situation has changed, I guess we need to ask from our business's perspective, do we really want to upgrade WLS everytime a new ADF version comes out? This does seem a big time sink and one that Oracle is trying to resolve.

    However I do agree it would be good if the Oracle installer was smart enough to allow you to deploy JDev 11.1.1.6.0 against WLS 10.3.6. As you've noted the work around is to download the ADF 11.1.1.6.0 runtimes and use those instead.

    CM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris,

      Thank you for your comments. I am aware of the "experiment" but I was not aware of the site.
      I understand that indeed there is double work that we have to upgrade to a newer weblogic in every JDev release. Of course now with this release, things are more flexible.
      Just to clarify here that I am not an expert on WLS.
      But on the other hand, if someone decides to go for weblogic 10.3.6, for whatever reason, she/he will not be able to use the integrated wls for development simply because it is of older version. Which, by itself, is rather unpleasant. I am not suggesting that this is always the case, but it might be.
      Furthermore, if I wanted to work on samples or investigations with ADF and wls 10.3.6, I have to install a standalone wls 10.3.6 and deploy my applications there, which makes me use a JDev with an integrated wls that I will not use in the first place.
      I certainly understand the double work to be done in order to be aligned with the new versions.
      Supporting wls 10.3.5 and 10.3.6 is a good thing.
      However, as you mentioned and I agree with you, a better handling of the wls versions would be more convenient.
      Regards,
      Dimitris.

      Delete
  3. "But on the other hand, if someone decides to go for weblogic 10.3.6, for whatever reason, she/he will not be able to use the integrated wls for development simply because it is of older version."

    But on the other hand x 2, if Oracle had coupled WLS 10.3.6 with JDev 11.1.1.6.0 and somebody wanted to test against 10.3.5 they'd have the same complaint. Oracle can't satisfy every scenario in this case.

    Btw in JDev 11.1.1.6.0 you can configure to use another server just like the integrated WLS. What you need to do is create another "Integrated WLS" connection via the app server navigator, then via the Application Properties -> Run options use the other configuration. This allows JDev to start/stop and deploy to that server (rather than deploy if you just setup a connection a standalone WLS). So this takes away some of the pain you're talking about (but doesn't stop you from having to install a 10.3.6 standalone WLS if that's where you wish to test).

    CM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris for the explanation.

      I understand that Oracle can't satisfy every scenario in this case.

      However, to my understanding, the logical step in this upgrade would be to bundle the new version of WLS in the JDev. So, everyone that wanted to use the new version of JDev with the "older" version of WLS will have to apply the approach that you are referring to.

      But of course, I am not here to judge Oracle's ways. Even though, in this case, they might seem a bit "mysterious" to me. :)

      Furthermore the another "Integrated WLS" connection seems to be the approach to be used in this case.

      Regards,
      Dimitris.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...